Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Answer to Question 4: Why grow/change?

I don't know, because that's what life's about? I mean is there anyone who would even sport a case for stagnation? Everyone says, oh yes, change, growth, very important. Almost every book ever written, every movie ever filmed, every story ever told is about the growth of the protagonist.
But, is that really what's going on? What exactly are we talking about? Do people mean that they are watching their kids grow? Maybe they feel they're getting happier and more fulfilled in life, things are coming together. Maybe they mean that they travel, or read, or try new things. Maybe they feel that their relationships with others are getting better, deeper. What is the purpose of growth anyway, if not to have a more satisfying life?
Although I think all those things are closely associated with the process of growth and change in life, I don't think that's the end of the discussion, the destination. To me, there is also this inner aspect of seeing the connections between things, understanding our emotional reactions, our issues from our childhoods and pasts, being able to channel our thoughts and feelings into effective, compelling statements and artistic expressions, keeping only those close to us who truly want the best for us, seeing behind people's and our own, facades. Most of all, it's authenticity, knowing who you are and what you think and feel about things and then stick to that, don't back it down, don't hide, let people see it. Boy, if nothing else, this blog is sure gonna hold my feet to the fire, it's hard to back off of stuff you've posted up on the internet.
To me, this is like Advanced Life; what you do after you cover Life 101 and Intermediate Life. Then, you can go on to stuff like Rich Life or Creative Life depending on whether you think money or happiness/connectedness is more important to you at the moment. By that point you should be able to succeed at either one, you've already worked through your own blind spots and can pinpoint others. Sounds easier than it is.
I've been fortunate to encounter lightning rods in my life who have inspired me out of complacency and I hope I can do the same for others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home