Thursday, October 28, 2004

Answer to Question 5: Why Isn't There More Live Music Around Here?

This is a tough one. I mean what happened to the Summer of Love and that whole music scene? Jerry started the Dead around here and played out in La Honda (BTW, the Prankster house does still live on). When I talk to the "old timers", they tell me the now closed down Edge in Palo Alto used to be called the Keystone and hosted some primo bands. The place stayed alive for 40 years, till just last year. The other place you used to be able to go dance and hear live music is the nearby Q Cafe. Last time I went there (and it was the same deal at the Edge, before they closed) there was some lame DJ and my date and I were practically the only people there. The one remaining place in downtown Palo Alto that used to have live bands was F&A. Forget that, now it's DJ Hank, who, by the way, plays crap. The guy told me they get more people with a DJ. Bullshit! There were tons of people gettin jiggy with Busta Groove when they played there. They had to do it just to get referrals, the club wouldn't even pay them even though they charged at the door.
Alright, let's try to break it down, from the top. Here's who I blame:
1) City councils who allow restrictive zoning or who otherwise chill the ability of venue owners to have live music, liquor etc. - 20%
2) Club and restaurant owners who don't see the value or make more of an effort to get musicians. I know it can be tough. The few places that do try, like Shooters, Mulligans etc. have to really try and get this stuff lined up. Dealing with musicians can be a headache, believe me, I know, but, guys, do you know how much could be solved by the installation of a PA and a drum kit? - 40%
3) The musicians. Sorry, the most I can whip up here is 5% for all the musicians who can't make it to practice or gigs, including my pet peeve, bailing bassists. But really, considering we all need day jobs just to survive around here, it's amazing you guys can keep up the chops you do. Thank God, music is inherently enjoyable. God made it that way so we could overcome RIAA, just like he made sex enjoyable so people would still have kids even though they can be quite a little hassle.
4) The public! Doesn't anyone dance anymore?? When was the last time you asked a venue when they might have some musicians come in? That sweet guy at Cafe Fino has been doing it for years, maybe because he loves music, maybe because he knows people do... because someone asked him.
Ultimately, the public gets what it deserves,.. remember DISCO?? And did people even learn from that, no, it lead to Michael Jackson and Madonna. If it hadn't been for Curt Cobain, we would have just gone straight through to Mariah and Britney. Remember, it happened once, it can happen again. Since downtown PA sports more homeless than street musicians, in fact the only "street musicians" I've seen lately were Paly kids bangin on trash can lids outside Pizza My Heart, I'm gonna have to give the PA public and their bourgeoisie blindness - 35%

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home