Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Standard Answer to Question 3: Why Nobody Tells You the Fun Parts of Divorce

The Wizard of Oz response, "You had to find it for yourself, my dear". Some things, maybe most things, are learned only through personal experience of them. Some are so big that, to me, life just seemed less without; like having kids. I knew there would be certain things I could only learn through having children, and I wanted to learn them.
As my marriage unfolded, I feared divorce, it was an unknown. The few single moms I knew seemed happy, said they wouldn't go back, but I didn't even ask them about it till I'd already separated. The lead up is hard because essentially, you're in the dark. It's just not appropriate to discuss certain things while you are still married, so you are not really getting, or giving, true info. So, no one told me because I didn't know who or what to ask.
I probably wouldn't reveal that much of the fun side of things, myself, unless there was interest expressed. I mean, it's hard enough to be satisfied in long term marriages these days. If people don't internally feel that need for passion, expansion, challenge or whatever it is, or are fortunate enough to be getting that, god bless them. It's not for me to go on about how much better it is to be taken for wonderful dinners, plane and motorcycle rides, etc., than it is to face the day to day sameness of the "full-time mom".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home