Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Apple/U2 Alliance

Most companies of any size these days pay some attention to strategic alliances, corporate partnering. Now we're seeing it with rock bands. Now, I'm sure you're all expecting me to rant on about the co-opting of the rock ethos etc., etc. Actually, I think this is a good match, supports branding & omnimedia type marketing approaches, and, best of all, elevates the status of rock acts to a good corporate level. Done thoughtfully and respectfully... carry on. I'd rather see Steve in bed with Bono than Eisner any day.
I will save my ire for the moron that used Ring of Fire for the hemorrhoid commercial, or I Feel Good for laxative. OK, yes, I'm hysterical just thinkin about the discussion that went through those brainstorming sessions. But, how can I ever listen to those terrific songs the same way again? It just fuckin ruins it, no matter how funny. But here's the one that really burns (pardon the pun) me. Years ago, during the darker days of music, McCartney (this'll teach ya to make shit like Ebony & Ivory) suggests to MJ that he invest in publishing rights. He later bought up most of Paul's best catalog & then allowed Nike to use Revolution for a sneaker commercial over Paul's objection. Putting the tot-tending aside here, it really shows what a complete shmuck that guy is. Absolutely no respect, not only for Paul, but for the song itself and what it says and represents. Paul is plenty pissed, to this day, and I don't blame him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home