Monday, November 15, 2004

Around the World in 80 Dates

This remake just came out on DVD. My divorcee version is much better. It's been quite a smorgasboard, and I do believe every country has been represented.

I was walking past City Hall with a date last night and we were looking at this weird little garage lit up in the middle of some flower bed. We're walking around saying, like you would in the Guggenheim, "it is art?". BTW, in the Guggenheim you answer that question by touching the thing. If they tell you not to touch it.... it's the art.

Anyway, the guy, who is in the thing, looks at us and says, "Would you like an explanation?", so he comes out and spends 20 minutes explaining the concept, which sounded like he'd spent a bit too long at a Palo Alto City Council Meeting. Turns out he generates more energy than he uses... something I'm sure we all aspire to. Anyway (trying to get back to my original point here) he also goes out on his little Vespa every day taking pictures of every square inch of Palo Alto getting data on color.....at the end of all this... do you know what he wants to do? He wants to, like, average it, blend it, and get "the average color of Palo Alto". I can tell you right now, it's white. But that's besides the point, he is looking for, literally, the average color.

What kind of comment is this? Do New Yorkers (all the art is in NY, as was this artist) see us as this homogenous? Where New Yorkers sport more of their ethnic identity, we all blend onto one techno-wonk beige, is that it? I even said to the guy, "well, you'll end up with some beige, right?" He's like yeah, and it will be the official color of Palo Alto. I'm serious, I bet it's gonna be on our Shallow Alto letterhead. I'm sure the artisans at Popeye will use it.

As for me, and my original point, it's a wide world out there. Enjoy the variety. Don't try to blend it all into some fuckin shade of beige and then use that as your identity. Biologically, the more genetically diverse the parents, the healthier the child tends to be. Dr. Andrew Weil teaches that the more colorful the diet, the healthier it is. So, nature knows.

If the artist were as close to nature as his little outhouse wants to suggest, perhaps he should go out and shoot, and then find the most vibrant colors in Palo Alto and put that together in a beautiful mosiac of color. Let that be the Palo Alto logo. In fact, I now have an idea for my next painting... after it's finished, perhaps I'll go over and hang it on the bland little cabin in front of City Hall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home