Friday, November 05, 2004

Art

My parents were right. I do love beautiful things. Fortunately, I don't have a huge need to own them. My joy is gazing upon them. looking at the light, the colors. When I'm looking at something that was created by hand by someone, even better. I think about how they made it, why I didn't have that idea first etc... When I'm looking at real art, it's deeper. You think about what the artist was trying to say. Most art that you see in galleries these days says, "please buy me, I will look nice in your home, you'll be supporting an artist." I've got plenty of art like that. I have absloutely no issue with it other than that I have more respect for the artist that does try to comment through her art; creates beautiful objects and paintings to say something really original or bring people to feelings and understanding.
There is such a direct, primal connection that art brings. When I stand in front of Starry Starry Night at MOMA I am looking at the actual canvas Vincent painted. Looking at that mesmerizing painting, knowing his life and death and what he tried so hard to express, the frustration he felt, the frustration we feel that he was never able to see the real value of his contribution in his life, helps us all understand that we create to create and hope it will serve as inspiration to someone, communicate to someone.... at some time. It's a leap of faith. Creating something is always a leap from the known to the new.
People who don't take the time to appreciate art and beauty in general, ...you wonder what they do appreciate, what they do notice and care about in life. If you're fed and have basic security in life, open your goddamn eyes and look around cause it is a beautiful world and you've got an 80 yr. pass to enjoy it. This is not a dress rehearsal! This is your actual life. So, do the zen thing. And yes, I actually do smell the roses.... in my garden, whenever I can. I'm a great appreciator, of beauty, of life of art. It's a great gift.
In my own painting, it's gone through phases; revolutionary stuff when I was young, tame interior watercolors in my mommy years, and now I'm going toward a bigger, more ambitious phase, expressive, more emotional.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate that you appreciate so much. Am also interested to hear what a musical collaboration with you might be like, performing and/or composing.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate that you appreciate so much. Am also interested to hear what a musical collaboration with you might be like, performing and/or composing.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home