Thursday, November 25, 2004

Start:Heart II


Start:Heart
Originally uploaded by Intervisions.

Given that it's essentially a starter, it's a process piece. The process of making it is as much the art as the finished product. The essential forms that you see were there in its very early stages, but they got refined, defined, smushed, blended in golden, pearlescent, day-glo veneers then refined and defined more finely again... got that?
On the second defining process the lines were thinner and darker and certain things, like the big question mark in the middle, hadn't even appeared before... I think. There was still more stuff on the right of the brain/question mark shaped thing, even that seemed more distinct, there was some sort of double yin/yang thing, hearts within hearts, separate hearts, especially the two big ones to the left, who represent my kids, who opened me up to the world in a way only children can. All sorts of little hearts and lightbulbs, representing loves and lights of my life, became clearer as I painted this painting to music. Tonight it was my band's playlist...lots o' funk. Usually the ipod's set on shuffle and I just hope something pops up that moves me as I dance around the house, put on a few coats of paint, film the stage (of paint) & generally have a good time. Ultimately, it's all about process. I found this quote by Buffy St. Marie when I was young and although she's Native American, it's pure zen: ( I have a big collection of quotations, I'll post the "Best of" sometime)
Travel light and travel simple in your mind, through your world. I think that leaving spaces for things that you haven't planned is the real secret to life. You shouldn't lock yourself in too tightly. Always leave room for life to lock you into it, like being locked into a wave when you surf. Learn to live outside yourself, without planning where the wave will take you. Above all, you have to leave room in life to dream.
Funny, I keep thinking my next piece will be more detailed, more planned.... I look at the stuff in the galleries and most of it is far more detailed and precise. Some of these artists must spend years and go half blind on these things, you know, artists are not exactly known for their sanity, or their cheerful dispositions. Then again, when I took a photo of the painting it really had this Starry Night look to it, and I hadn't even planned that. So, who knows what the hell I'll do next? I may "finish" this or start the next, which I'm already conceptualizing. If you have any suggestions, please let me know, particularly if you have any interest in promoting the fun-inclined. Art as an enjoyable process, now that is an original thought. BTW, clicking on any picture in this blog will enlarge it and take you into flicker.. This feature is also available in real life

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home