Friday, December 17, 2004

APart:Heart


APart:Heart
Originally uploaded by Intervisions.
As I mentioned in my Start:Heart post, I was thinking about doing an opposite piece next. Something sparer, more defined. Whereas Start:Heart's lines constantly intersect in what Dave Matthews would call "the space between" (I would, of course, call it the intervision) this next piece would be, essentially a series of separate, distinct objects. I thought about entitling it A Part:Heart to emphasize the sense that although each of the separate hearts shows whole, they are really parts. Then I thought about Apart:Heart to highlight the separateness. I compromised, hoping to spur the viewer to think of both meanings and, yes, the relationship (or intervision) between them.

I mean, when we are not feeling whole internally, does that help or hurt our sense of being part of the community? I guess it depends on the community. Many times, in many cultures, I think of the Japanese culture, the need for conformity compels individuals to be the herd animals humans can instinctively be. We all grow up in families and need to conform to their expectations. That doesn't necessarily mean our own spirits are whole within that. So, it's a comment on the individual's relationship to the community. Communities that operate like efficient beehives can foster apart hearts. Other groups can produce things more cooperatively. For example, I will probably do a post on this specifically but, I compare this group of actors I'm watching on This So-Called Diaster, rehearsing a play, to the groups on The Apprentice. On the Apprentice you have to be constantly on guard, always putting yourself subltly or not subtly above others. In the play, they're all hanging out, exploring characters, having fun, encouraging each other.

It's also meant to show progression of stages through life. As opposed to Start:Heart, messy, vibrant, colorful...full, APart:Heart looks like a series of bonbons, especially the early ones. There is a lot of "dead air" on this canvas, lots of space between, and even the live areas are flat. The hearts don't touch or intersect, they each hang from their own separate ribbon, that's what supports each one. In the earlier piece the various shapes had a series of colorful borders edging it out to the pool of colors and the shapes, though distinct, seem to touch each other in many places, at least on their outskirts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home