Sunday, December 19, 2004

George Carlin

Update on George, as of today, Dec. 28, he's entering rehab for the first time. I replaced his site link above with a story on it. It's interesting because on the interview I wrote of below, he did talk about his drug use. He said pot, and drugs in his life in general, were sort of self-extincting. As time went on he got less high fun and more hassle around the drug, and he naturally slowed down as result. Well, I guess he felt he needed some help doing that, and I respect him for doing that rather than promoting his book.... unless he IS promoting his book. I hate to be a cynic, but so many celebrities seem to find themselves in high visibility legal or drug problems when they've got something to promote. It's the Jackson MO, that's for sure, it's an MJ staple and now lil' sis Janet learns at his knee, or boob, her little flash turned that crappy Damitra Jo into a big seller.
--------------------------------------------------

Saw George on Actors Studio yesterday. His was probably one of least impressive resumes I've seen on that show, but comedians usually have such perceptive comments to make about society (that is, after all, their job) & Carlin is one of the best. He was a very successful mainstream comedian in the 60's, entertaining corporate wonks, and finding that less and less appealing as the 60's went on. Once he got cool, the establishment abandoned him, saying he "freaked out", until he started selling millions of comedy albums, then they wanted their crazy cash cow back.

It's an interesting illustration of the two routes to external power. One, I've discussed ad nauseam in the Reality Show and other posts; ingratiating, play to the powerful audience. The other, familiar to successful artists, and one I strongly advocate, is to build a following of people who appreciate and enjoy what you do.

Anyway, to quote Carlin:
If you're born in this world, you've got a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in the US, you've got a front row seat. So, most people watch the freak show, some are in it... and some comment on it, and that's what I do.

Well, I guess that's what I do too (though not as well). And, I love it. I love watching the freak show, l love being in it and I sure as hell love commenting on it. Contrary to Dr. Pangloss (Candide), this is definitely not the best of all possible worlds, but it's one hell of an interesting ride, with all the opportunities you need to learn your lessons and still have a great experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home