Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Podcasting

Ever wonder why you were put here? Well, it's stuff like this that makes me think I was put here to watch this amazing explosion of technology meets creativity meets community. Podcasting, essentially, is to radio what blogging is to books. It's easier, faster, more approachable. As they put it in the Christian Science Monitor (link above), aspiring directors have iMovie, aspiring writers have blogging and now aspiring DJs have podcasting. I actually wonder about the "aspiring". In my book, if you direct a film, you're a director, regardless of the size of its audience.

So, podcasting allows someone, with the right software, computer & mikes, to format and "broadcast" their own radio shows. It's done through the internet and offers more of the flexibility of say, TiVo, than traditional radio. No commercials, just the rantings of whoever is putting the playlist out there.

Well, I guess you can all see the handwriting on the wall....where do I sign up? All these new mediums opening up are like manna from heaven for a ham like me. Long before I had the balls to sing, I was definitely broadcasting my very good taste in music, and my breathy on-air voice all over town. It's great to have people always walking up to you telling you they enjoyed your show. Now again, I'm having people tell me they like my art on the blog. It's a trip, so I definitely understand how exciting it is for folks to have mediums that were previously reserved for the few to now be open.

As time goes on, I think we'll get further away from mass culture. Where we now spend most of our time absorbing big news & big entertainment, in the future we'll be spending about a third on the mass culture stuff, a third on local or "garage band" level input and a third of our time creating our own output.

It keeps getting easier to make our own custom content, a collage of our interests....slideshows, playlists, films, effects, titles.... and you can mix and match this stuff onto websites and soon it'll be easier to blog that stuff. It's also getting more approachable in terms of music production. CG, modeling, composing etc.

Anyway, I'm starting to get a little hot just thinking about all this. I mean, if, using the handy dandy new ipodder software, I put together a show of say the REAL Greatest 500 Songs (see RS rant) and put it out there and you sign up... does that mean you now "own" those 500 songs on your own ipod?? If so, what will darling RIAA have to say about that?!

So, what can you put on these podcasts? Anything that won't bring the copyright police? One band I sing with does originals, so it wouldn't even make Hillary mad. Come to think of it, bands will have these as easily as they now have websites. Only it'll go directly onto your ipod.

Now that I think of it, I have some quotes on this blog. They're all credited, but I didn't ask the author's permission, or pay them. Though I did spread the word about how meaningful their quote is. Now, I doubt Buffy St. Marie or Peter Fonda will come after me... but what if I quote Hilllary Rosen or one of the other champions of big business ownership of content?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home