Thursday, December 30, 2004

Women of '04: Steele & Keys

Man, this was a tough one. Not tough like it was with the men, how to choose just two, but to FIND two of sufficient stature and power! I looked through all my recent Netflix movies, even those I hadn't rented, in the hopes there was a promising new female director; another Sophia Coppolla coming to light this year. Nope, even the chick flicks are directed by guys. Politics? Hillary is always a good choice, she's been diligent and smooth. But, she didn't do much recently except be classy during the election. Increasingly saddened and frustrated.... music? Anyone influential on a policy level? Yes. Hillary fucking Rosen. But, she would have to be a born again music freer, not just a Lessig listener, before I'd choose her. I'm not Time magazine, people. They choose the most influential person(s) of the year, for good or ill. I don't. I choose someone who elevates us.

If I've overlooked someone, please let me know, but, I'm gonna go Alicia Keys. The artists have a platform, a voice, in this case literally, so unless someone behind the scenes is really making waves, I'd go with an artist. I went into this a bit before on my Billboards (12/9/04) post, but I'm choosing Alicia over Beyonce, who had a better album(s) this year, because she does have a better message. If I have to choose one, I'll go with the one who has expressed some desire to raise awareness, through her music. Alicia has shown focus on social/political issues and is more innovative. I have no problems with Beyonce's in your face sexuality, at all, as I've said, but she needs more message. Madonna had some success, with her church-fighting angle and artistic take on sex.

Alicia is a serious artist, playing in bands since age 9. She blends classical, gospel & R&B with a very contemporary rock/pop feel. She is original and Falling was one of the most daring and fresh songs I'd heard in years. Her tango number at the VMA's stole the show. She's not aftraid to try new things. She did have two major hits this year, one with the lush Usher, the other one made my top 20. She shows a lot of emotion and maturity, vision and direction... all of which was Key to my vote.

From Alicia to Shari, artist to activist. Shari Steele was my original choice, but, since I did two Men '04, I was not about to dis my own. Her group was one of the first to bring attention to the issue of internet freedom. Many, like me, got on board when music came online, but Shari has been on to internet issues since the internet. She's one of the many footsoldiers out there working almost invisibly in the public interest.

She's in charge of an effective organization, one that has inspired others to organize. EFF, which I recently posted about, was one of the first of a whole new generation of public interest and political action groups, which are getting increasingly public relations oriented. The article in the link above is a good example. Not only is she fighting hard in the courts finding lawyers for any manner of internet harassment, but she is organizing grass roots efforts to bring awareness to these issues and pressure to bear in DC. Moreover, she's putting her money (which is pretty scarce in the non-profit world) where her mouth is. Magazine ads are not cheap. Her efforts have done much to slow down Big Brother and RIAA rampage, and they are much appreciated.

It is not easy to take on the rich and powerful in this country, but, behind the blond curls is the Woman of Steel & she's my choice for the Woman of '04.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home