Sunday, January 30, 2005

The End

What is the endpoint... technologically, in terms of communication? When we all have small, inexpensive devices we wear that give us any info/audio/visual we want, whenever we want it and we can transmit that to whoever we want instantaneously... is that the end? Maybe then we'll hit transportation and biotech harder. But, just as a philosophical question, is there an endpoint here and when will it happen and what then?

I do have these fun conversations with my son where I explain stuff like typewriters and carbon paper and spending hours in the library finding and reading books, record albums, having two phones in the house, one for me to talk on and the other for my mother to listen in on, then we talk about what he'll tell his kids "Yeah, I remember I had to lug this 3 lb. "laptop" around....I had to plug it in to recharge it, I had 10 different items, all of which kept changing and took a long time to learn to use, to do what your little earbob does and it took 10X as long and cost 10X as much."

The earbob has a function that lets you just tell it what you want displayed in 3D, totally realistic vision, right in front of you. "Oh yeah, show me that I Love Lucy where she's in the grape vat and then the one where Nick & Jessica do it, send this blend to Bria with the message 'slippery business opportunity', and 'Spill the Wine' playing under it (all for free of course....public domain, you know. For non-public stuff, the Google Gods will make sure the original artists get paid), then check my calendar for lunch and give me directions, call to confirm".

Ahh, life would be so hassle free, as long as you still had your privacy. Anyway, fun to think about....in fact, maybe someday you won't even have to say the commands, just think them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home