Saturday, January 15, 2005

Makin the Break

from cover bands to originals. It's a trip. Cover songs are so familiar and comfortable, they are solid time-tested-tunes. Sure, you can riff off em but your net is always there.

In some ways songwriting has always felt like the last frontier, creatively. It's the smallest barrier between you & your audience. It's the form of expression most personal and raw. I can act or sing in front of others, no problem, express myself verbally, visually on canvas, on film... whatever. but to write a song, words, music, then sing it in your own voice... that's deep.

Anyway, the other problem is finding those tunes in your head, or heart, or spirit, or wherever they are, and then executing. Luckily for me, I had sort of the best "losing my virginity" you could have... an incredible band with, not only great originals, but some pre-made stuff I could lay vocal tracks right over. I had a bunch of underemployed lyrics & blues riffs, along with their basic melodic stucture & jumped in.... the water was warm. All I can say is... thank you musical gods of creativity and inspiriation.

Gwen Stefani was right, there is true power in songwriting. I don't know why it's been so daunting for me, but, it's less so now. Besides you can't put covers on the sites, like Soundclick so, onward & upward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home