Saturday, February 26, 2005

Raise Your Choice

OK, I apologize in advance for reviewing this insipid flick, Raise Your Voice, that shouldn't have to be seen by anyone without a tween (ages 9-12). One reason I do is that, by and large, despite its obvious mass appeal, predictable nature, it's part of a positive trend in empowerment films for girls.

I saw another one, Saved, with Mandy Moore, that offered some good messages about religious tolerance, without being preachy. And yes, back to the Britney thing I just questioned her "art", but as I recall, her film basically showed her asserting her own vision even when it was at odds with the parents'.

If you haven't figured it out by the title, in this vehicle for the utterly cross-branded Hillary Duff, we see the beautiful, talented young protagonist overcoming fear and big Daddy to, literally, raise her voice. I can certainly relate to this because my voice has been a focus and passion of mine for the past 3 1/2 years. And if you think Hillary has obstacles... So, Mike, here we go... my voice.

When I was my daughter's age, unlike her, I was quite the little performer. I loved the attention, I was good at it. I got all the lead roles in the school plays, sang at the big parties for the relatives. As a tween, I staged the first of many rebellions. Like Cleopatra's companion of the earlier post, I was not about to let anyone's unfinished dreams be mine, so I quit.

Big mistake, by the time you get to your teen years, or maybe because of them, you can lose your nerve. I remember when I was successfully attempting to bring some drama teachers into my kids' elementary school, they felt that a fourth grade play was "too late" because, by that time, the kids were too socially aware of each other to make the most out of the experience of acting together. There would be too much attention to the size of the role, more shyness, etc.

I guess going out there and singing in public, especially rock, takes more confidence than I had to offer when I was younger and it was only when I chanced into it again, much later, that I was able to pursue it. The irony is that while the internet and life experience made it easier, the life, the years themselves, put it out of reach in terms of making a viable living at it... though who knows... hope springs eternal. I've had the opportunity to perform with several great bands, including my own, and feel grateful for the experiences. I don't really understand why it should be so difficult, but I think it will continue to get easier to put together local bands & find places to play and cultivate an audience. It's easier to promote your band and produce your music without the horrid middleman. I've heard some great stuff on Magnatune recently.

Anyway, not to be deterred, I felt that there was, and should be, some avenue for a middle aged woman to sing in public, particularly if she was really willing to work at it. Well, after the first blush, it became pretty daunting, especially when the band I had supported turned its back on me in a dishonest, not to mention disheartening, way. Somehow, despite the odds, I am slowly but surely learning a craft and perfecting my art... and, they are not the same thing. There is a voice... the vocals... and then there's the artistic voice, the message. With singing, it all comes together within your own body and soul. Being able to express yourself in a song, particularly your own song, with friends, musicians... it's the most beautiful feeling and it's so sad that, while most people would love to do it, and would benefit so much from doing it, it is viewed as fairly unreachable, at least for women. Out of the hundreds of musicians I've played with, not one has been female.

You should see the veiled jealousy I encounter from others, particularly women, particularly those lost in their own unmet, unknown needs. It's not just me, I have a very mild-mannered neighbor who happens to like belly dance, she gets the comments too. I know a housewife who sang with the same group I did, and she was scared off by a jealous, "well-meaning friend". I tried to support both these women, but the latter is probably shut down for good (well, not her good), telling herself over and over how much she enjoys cooking, probably the closest she comes to creative expression of her voice.

Cooking... socially approved. Singing rock music in tight jeans with a bunch of men... not approved. She was married to one of the band members and so was not as easy to dislodge. Someone, whose MO I've observed numerous times, made her feel that heavy weight of the claw and cackle club. And she buckled like a house of cards, even though I perceived her as being quite beloved by the women. And, I do believe she genuinely loves cooking, I've heard her wax rapturously about it... but what about her own unique identity and point of view?

The same person who I believe spooked this woman has made a number of comments both to me and in front of me, to the effect of, fit in, assume the role, or you will suffer. It's not just overprotective parents who kill the dreams and creative opportunities of others, it's meek women and men who learned to get their way through subtle coercion and manipulation, advising us always to stay in the lines...or else social nightmares will follow. I got a dose of this from my own in-house social approbation society... until it, thank god, left... finally unable to deal with a free, perceptive and, worst of all, honest human being.

There will always be those who try to lower others. I always find it so inspiring to see others think for themselves, or create something, or make some connection. Why do so many people seem threatened by this? Because they choose to stay in fear, and they resent those who went out and found happiness?

So, hopefully films like these will inspire young girls to raise their voices and follow their dreams, at a time in their lives when they are at risk of losing the ability to do so. Now if only the real world would fire Larry Summers (1/20/05 post) and send some real-life messages... we'll be in business. Unfortunately, it now looks like only the faculty there, is registering any real internal objection. For now, let's stay in our little teen dream scene and hope for something better for our daughters... all of us.

It's not just teenage girls who get shut down, at least they're allowed to stay in touch with their feelings. We all get boxed in, especially if you have kids. However, I like to see creative opportunities available for adults because fulfilled people are less likely to squelch others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home