Saturday, March 05, 2005

Come and Get Me

This is the planned title of my next visual art project. My last one was reflective of the emotions I was trying to work through during my divorce. There was a loss of the intact family and I had many concerns about my kids. Having seen them throughout this past year, my concerns are alleviated, as is my focus on this issue. I'm in a great place, emotionally and in every way, these days and just don't have much to express artistically on this subject.

My artistic focus at this point has far more to do with larger social issues. I take most of my inspiration from some of the sites listed at the bottom of my list of links, like Illegal Art and Detritus. These artists build on the blocks of our culture, its images, its sounds. This is what artists are supposed to do. What would we be without artists like Duchamp and Warhohl to point out the way we see the world around us.

By painting a Campbell's soup can, Warhohl was trying to make us aware of the fact that these corporate images were our de facto art. Should he pay Cambell's for the privilege? Think of how much art would have been lost, is being lost, will be lost and what our society will be without that kind of comment. This type of art has always been provocative and it has always been attacked and misunderstood by some.

Awareness of important social issues usually first form in the academic and artistic communities. And often it does fall on these small groups to find ways to publicize and raise the issue to the public through a variety of mediums; the courts, stunts, inroads into mass media, grass roots, now the internet.

So, Come and Get Me is basically a taunt to the powers that be. The first piece will be a collage of album art from major labels. Folks like Metallica, the Beatles, Don Henley, Sheryl Crow, Prince and, of course U2 will be the anchors for my little hall of offenders. After that I'll probably do one of all the musicians who would thank me for the exposure, much less sue me... the grass roots and small indie label bands. After that, or maybe even incorporated in, will be snips of court papers from the hundreds of thousands of persecutions that have taken place as artists, software developers, scientists, particularly those in genetics, investors, entrepreneurs and others live in fear and uncertainty from excessive copyright control.

What's so abusive about the law is that it does nothing to protect collage and mash-up artists from unscrupulous rights-holders who demand 50% or more of the profits from a work where their image is one of dozens, or hundreds, in there. Works of art in these categories are as creative and original as in any other, but because the building blocks are images and samples instead of notes or colors... they are persecuted.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions and contributions regarding this assemblage. Next will probably come some mash-ups, though, maybe not... I'm still too happy with the live performing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home