Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Conduits

In my previous post I discussed how Jesus taught us to think for ourselves, question authority, find God within because the interpretation of others is always through a human, fallible conduit. In my 2/26/05 post, Raise Your Choice, I discuss a woman who was deterred from singing by " a friend". I didn't discuss the specifics, but I'd like to because they relate to this whole business of those who seek to become conduits for others.

The woman in question was having a fun time singing with the Mildcat band until a friend had a little talk with her. So... what in tarnation did the friend say? Can't you guess? I mean, she's a friend, right? She's not gonna be up front and say, you know what, I like to sing too, but, I don't have the guts to get up there and if I don't get the fun, neither should you, so get the fuck away from my husband and his band. So... what did she say? She told her some other people were criticizing her. She probably even went on to make herself look like the hero, and said she defended her dear friend. I tried to clue the victim in... is your friend really your friend? But, she didn't see it.

The conduits are like water, like subliminal advertising, always behind the scenes, pulling the strings, a little comment here and there, always reminding us what others are supposedly thinking about us. They are the arbiters of the world's morality. Always fully aware of what others will say, what others will think. The identity of "the friend" I refer to above was never revealed to me. But, can easily guess who it is. It's a woman I know is close to her and a woman who I have seen on many occasions talk about this group opinion she always seems to represent. When, in a group, one woman says she wants to take a stand about something, friendgirl says, well, so and so took a stand recently and now she's ostracized.

It takes other forms. I've had professional friends who will use their status there as the bolster bar. It's like, I'm always right cause I'm the doctor, the psychologist or lawyer and I represent my profession and all its accumulated knowledge and power. I've seen people in over their heads in arguments refer to the handy dandy agreeing third party, often a respected one. Can't make your point... just say hey, it's not only me who thinks so... it's everyone, or this authority figure. I say, speak for yourself. In the law we call it hearsay, and when I hear it, my sensors go off.

That's why the fundamentalists want you on that Bible so much. Once you sign on to the fact that that is the ultimate truth, they've got you. All they have to do is point out some sentence in there supporting their point & there you go. No more need to question, right? Those who seek to control us almost never do it in their own name. It's always in the name of freedom and America and democracy and Jesus and "morality".

So, in this season of rebirth I think it's important to identify and inspect the conduits we've accepted in our lives. Whose voice do we listen to? The voices of the fearful conduits, who don't have enough inner strength to speak for themselves? I say, listen to that inner voice that speaks to your heart's desire. That is the voice that will be there for you always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home