Monday, July 25, 2005

4Heart


4Heart
Originally uploaded by Intervisions.
This piece is based on a sketch I drew many years ago. I can't remember exactly when I drew it, or why. I think it was when I was in my twenties and doing a series of sensual, organic, iconographic, spiritual images, such as Emergence and Cornucopia, which I've posted here.

But, I like to have visual images for my creative projects and I was thinking about what I wanted for my film; Valley Fog. I looked at this old sketch and knew it represented the theme of the film... the interplay of four hearts. So, I painted this, based on the sketch, which I still have.

It also fits thematically with the heart sequence of paintings I started in '04 and keep meaning to wind up. Anyway, the colors in this piece are very significant. The fire tones represent that young female energy, the pink represents the more mature, maternal yin energy. The blue is the wave of testosterone and green is... green, cash, security... male/yang.

The movie is about two couples whose lives sexually intertwine one day and each character in that film is represented by one of these four hearts. But, the symbolism applies to a number of situations in my life, from my family to another's. Most films are boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl.

But real life, and my film, is about how four hearts can intertwine. What if the foursome realizes it's really mismatched? As in Fleetwood Mac, they realize subliminally, and libidinously, it's all wrong.

The guys are with the wrong girls, and what if only two of the parties see it? They each realize that they are much more simpatico with each other than their spouse... but what to do? Kids, houses, schools, responsibilities, appearances, family, friends, affiliations, business.... what a mess... somehow put that all into a painted image.... so, here ya go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home