Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mark Burnett

Goddamn... if this isn't a man after my own heart. First, Survivor reminded me of all I loved about nature, how it forces you to be so true and real... it's grandeur, magnificence and awesome scope and power. Then The Apprentice reminded me of the toughness and shrewdness of my NY roots, the culture, it's streets, and of the "company head", the luck and sycophancy and playing cards and strategy.

But, now I'm really home. So, check out Rockstar. It helps me understand what rock music means to me, does to me. How singing it fills me. What rock is about... singing those songs... the attitude, the emotion. The show has a real rock feel and makes American Idol look like the hyped RIAA sucking shlock it is.

The real happy ending will be when the winner takes his newly revived killer band, INXS, out from under the contract they just signed with Sony BMG and takes on their own production, promotion and distribution...uh oh... did you read that contract you signed before you gave up your (unsigned) band? Sorry, like Kelly Clarkson and all the rest, you'll be working (really, really hard) "for hire" (read, no money) for a very long time. By the end of it, you'll probably be so burnt out you'll end up like INXS's last singer... dead.

If you're smart, you'll end up like Bo Bice. You know what he was thinking at the end there? Please, please. please, don't let it be me. Now he just has to prostitute himself with a few tours, but may end up with some kind of control, some kind of voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home